Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Colorado Trip - Day 2, Part 1

Today's destination:  Denver.

Up at 6:30am.  Had breakfast in the hotel at 7:30:  scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, bran muffin, raisin bran cereal ;o) 2% milk, orange juice, water and decaf coffee.

Spent about an hour picking a hotel for our stay in Denver, then showered and hit the road at 9:50.

Windmill sightings at 10:10am.  Most were white, but some were painted a bluish gray to blend in against the sky.

Off in the distance
These were just the tip of the iceberg
They look big from the road, but not that big
There were so many of them
These things are huge - we passed several trucks on the highway carrying single blades, and they're longer than an 18-wheeler.

Here's a portion of a single blade that give an idea of the true size
Here's a couple of videos - the first one also has an old-fashioned windmill for comparison (plus cows):





Warning:  here it gets kind of gross.  I'll use the gentle language this time, but reserve the right to use the stronger stuff later.

We stopped in a rest stop to pee.  It used high windows for natural light, so it was kind of dark in the back.  The restroom didn't have urinals, only stalls.  The one on the right was occupied, Todd took the one in the middle, so I entered the only left which was the handicapped stall.  I turned to latch the door, then turned back to step up to the toilet when I noticed the texture of the floor changed:

Whoever the previous occupant was had apparently not made it to the toilet....several times.
I was standing on poo.  Human poo.
I was wearing sandals.

After gagging a couple of times, I checked to make sure the feces hadn't crested the top of the sandal sole and made it to foot-level.  Giving myself the all-clear, I carefully walked up to the toilet and finished my business.

I stepped back outside and told Todd what had happened, where he helpfully pointed out that the outside faucets all said out of order.  He then forbade me from getting those shoes anywhere inside the car with poo on them.  These sandals have deep treads like a hiking boot, so I spent the next 15 minutes alternating between dragging my left foot through the grass and going back inside to push down on the sink faucet and rinse it under the 10 seconds of weak trickle that came out.

Poo, poo, come off of my shoe.  Todd is assisting by taking pictures.
"Those sandals are not going in my car"
I finally got them clean enough to change into my tennis shoes and put the sandals upside down in the trunk.  Every time we stopped after that I would change back into the sandals and drag my foot through whatever vegetation there was before changing back into my tennis shoes and getting back into the car.  I would have a chance to wash them better when we tried to stop for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment