Sunday, October 26, 2014

Colorado Trip - Day 6

This was our last full day in Vail, and I didn't take many notes.

I was up at 5:30am and relaxed in bed with the iPad until 7:30, when I got out for a coffee and croissant which I squirreled back to the room to share with Todd.  We cleaned up and left the hotel around 2 hours later.  We stopped at Mountain Cupcakes again for another burrito breakfast (yum), then wondered around the village, looking in the different clothing stores, souvenir shops and art galleries.  We didn't buy anything, but the highlights were definitely PISMO Fine Art Glass and Vail International Gallery.  Bates Wilson and Carlos Trost at the Vail International Gallery were two of my favorites.



While walking around we saw a strange site - a bald man carrying a rainbow umbrella for shade walked by in a full-length white formal gown with large chandelier earrings.  He proceeded to the base of gondola One where he got on and rode it to the top of the mountain.  It was so unexpected and out of place, which I guess was the effect he wanted.  I couldn't help but wonder if he was going hiking in that outfit, or just planned to make a full circuit on the gondola.  We didn't follow or stick around to find out.

After exploring the shops we ate lunch at Pazzo's Pizza (good enough), then we walked about a mile over to Lionshead Village to take a more thorough look around there.  It turned out there wasn't much to see once you got there.  We stopped in at Rimini Gelato for water and a snack.  I have no memory of what flavor I got, but it was most likely bananas foster or something similar.

If you're not careful, you could end up living in a van down by the river (which may not be that bad if it's in Vail)

We headed back to Vail Village and our hotel, where we sat in the library and played a few games of backgammon.  Todd's a better player than I am, but I managed to pull off a stunning last-minute win on one of the games.

We took a short nap back in the room, then freshened up and headed out to find dinner.  We ended up at The Red Lion where I had a burger...or a steak, I don't remember which.

The terrifying Red Lion
Um...
There, that's better

After that we walked around some more and went back to the hotel for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment